About Me

sometimes i'm accurate but imprecise. sometimes i'm precise but inaccurate. sometimes i'm both.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

People...ugh

First off, I just have to say that I love my job. Working at the campus auditorium, I get to deal with people who have the same passion for theater as me. Add in the benefits of unlimited access to an espresso machine and the best napping couch you ever napped upon, and I end up spending most of my free time backstage.

That being said, sometimes it can just drive me insane. This insanity generally comes in the form of what my coworkers fondly dub "bad people." Bad people seem to exist to make the life of the crew a living hell. Be it through malice (rare) or incompetence (common), the lack of communication and preparedness of these people is enough to drive me up the wall.

I have, over the course of the past year come up with a game of sorts. As I interact more and more with a group, I begin to grade their particular level of asshattery. I even developed a score system:

  1. Coming to us the day of the event with some obscene request that could have been easily dealt with before hand (ex. lights, mics, banners) - 10 pts
  2. Bringing children into the seating area for a long event - 1 pt each
  3. Bringing children into the backstage area or as performers onstage - 2 pts each
  4. Having a set... - 5 pts
  5. ...that moves... - 10 pts
  6. ...and is too big for our stage door so we have to open the large sliding door - 25 pts
  7. Being an asshole to the staff... - 5 pts
  8. ...in front of the audience... - 30 pts
  9. ...because of something that is your fault - 50 pts
  10. Being drunk/high/both - 15 pts
  11. Unrealistic expectations as to what modern theater technology is capable of... - 5 pts
  12. ...and then ignoring attempts to politely explain why you are an idiot - 15 pts
  13. Not knowing how to use a mic... - 10+ pts
  14. ...and tapping to make it work - 5 pts
  15. Miscellaneous points are additionally awarded for general pain and suffering

All events are guilty of at least one of these things, and I will admit, the scale is relative. However it is not difficult to avoid most of these pitfalls and I have seen events range from a mere 10 pts to an astounding 647 pts (don't ever, ever let a children's dance troupe into your theater).

It is things like this that makes me hate humanity as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment